Visa Debit Card
With Scott Credit Union’s Visa Debit Card, you have the convenience of making purchases without the hassle of writing checks.
It’s NOT a credit card. It’s our debit card — a much easier way to use your checking account.
That’s right! You can leave your checkbook at home! Because you can use the Scott Credit Union Visa Debit Card to make purchases worldwide—anywhere you see the Visa logo. That’s more than 13 million retail merchants, including service stations, grocery stores, theaters, ticket outlets, restaurants, florists, and many others. The amount of your transaction is automatically deducted from your SCU checking account.
The Visa Debit Card is the perfect way to pay! It’s faster and easier than writing a check and it’s a lot safer than carrying cash. Every purchase you make comes with a receipt for your records and is listed on your monthly checking account statement.
And It's your ATM card
The Visa Debit Card also works like a regular ATM card, allowing you to get quick cash, make deposits, check balances and transfer funds.
Something To Remember When Using Other Financial Institution's ATMs
When you use another financial institution's ATM, it is important to make sure your transaction is complete before you drive or walk away.
Many ATMs will show a message after you have taken your money and receipt that says "Would you like to make another transaction?". If you fail to press "No" and the next person uses the ATM right away, the ATM still thinks it is in your session. When the next person enters their PIN, the machine is still looking for your PIN.
The person using the ATM after you will not be able to access your accounts, but can cause your card to be locked because the ATM thinks an invalid PIN has been entered.
So, please remember to answer "No" if the ATM screen asks you if you would like to perform another transaction. Then, verify that the ATM returns to its welcome screen to confirm that your transaction is complete.
A Visa Debit Card costs you little or nothing.
The card itself is free. All purchases you make with the card are free of any transaction fees. And all transactions at Scott Credit Union ATMs are free. Transactions at non-SCU ATMs are subject to a nominal fee and possible surcharge.* Enjoy an easy way to access your checking account. Once you start using your Debit Card, you’ll wonder how on earth you ever got along without it.
*Your Visa Debit Card will come with a random-generated PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can stop by any SCU office to customize the PIN, if you wish, at no additional cost.
Prevent debit card fraud
Monitoring Your Accounts, Following Other Steps Can Help You Avoid Debit Card Fraud
When we experience an economic downturn, the instances of fraud typically increase in our area and throughout the country. The difference today is that the crimes have become more sophisticated and debit card fraud has become more prevalent.
Debit card fraud can happen to almost anyone. While it is difficult to protect yourself completely, we are working hard to make sure that you are protected. We have the most up-to-date technology to help protect our members’ cards and their accounts. We currently have several tools in place that are designed to protect you from card fraud. We are also asking for your help to protect your card.
As a card user, there are steps you can take to prevent fraud. Get into the habit of checking your accounts regularly. You should check every transaction to make sure you recognize it and that it was a transaction you performed. It is important that you don’t just look at large transactions. Some fraudsters will target small amounts across a number of accounts. It is also very important that you contact us if you find any suspicious activity on your account. You will not be held accountable for fraudulent charges on your account.
Here are some additional tips for protecting your credit and debit cards:
- If you use your card at an unusual location from your normal activity, your card may be declined. Geographic limitations are often put on cards as a safeguard and more detail can be provided to you if you call and tell us you are traveling outside of the area.
- If your card is declined when you perform a signature-based transaction, try running the transaction again using your PIN. The transaction may have been declined as a security precaution restricting transactions with your card.
- Sign up for eAlerts in SCU Online that will inform you when transactions occur on your account.
- Update your contact information with Scott Credit Union. We are unable to contact you about a suspicious charge unless we have your current phone number.
- Copy the customer service phone number from the back of your debit or credit cards and keep this list in a separate location from your purse or wallet.
- Avoid using ATMs that appear dirty or in disrepair. These ATMs may be fake machines set up to capture card information.
- Do not use ATMs with unusual signage, such as a command to enter your PIN twice to complete a transaction.
- Watch out for ATMs that appear to have been altered. If anything on the front of the machine looks crooked, loose or damaged, it could be a sign that someone attached a skimming device.
- Avoid using the ATM if suspicious individuals are standing nearby. Criminals may try to distract you as you use the machine to steal your cash, or watch as you type your PIN.
- As you key in your PIN, cover the keypad with your other hand to block anyone, or a camera, from viewing the numbers you type.
As always, we welcome you to contact our Member Service Center at 345-1000 or 1-800-888-4728 with any questions about your account. Our representatives would be happy to talk with you and to discuss ways we can help you avoid fraud on your debit card.
Open a Checking account with a Visa Debit Card today - click below!